UK holiday destinations for couples
By Mark Hodson, Sunday Times Travel Writer
1. Scotland is packed with options for short breaks – check out McKinlay Kidd. Try a whisky tour on the island of Islay, keep your eyes peeled for Minke Whales, otters, seals and porpoises off the west coast on a Mull Wildlife Experience or take a nostalgic trip on a steam train through the Highlands – otherwise known as Hogwarts Express.
2. Take a flight or ferry to the gorgeous island of Jersey which is easy to reach from across the UK and has a great restaurant scene, fascinating historical sites and sandy beaches. Stay at the Pomme d’Or Hotel in busy St Helier, or chill out at the Greenhills Country House Hotel.
3. Our writers love the family-owned Gilpin Lodge in the Lake District – it’s a luxurious, relaxing hideaway with some thoughtful contemporary twists. It’s a big draw for foodies especially, with 3 AA Rosette dining. Not far from Windermere, the hotel has 22 acres of gardens beside moors and woodland.
4. Explore some of the beautiful canals and rivers that criss-cross Britain. Waterways Holidays rents out canal boats and sailing boats including some that sleep two. Check out the latest special offers.
5. You may think that you have to travel to France for a wine-tasting break but take a look at the Three Choirs Vineyards in Gloucestershire, one of England’s leading wine producers. As well as gorgeous rooms, you can expect top quality food, 100 acres of quiet, scenic countryside and wine-tasting, of course.
6. If you want to take your four-legged friend with you, there are a number of places where dogs are welcome. Canine Cottages has hundreds of pooch-friendly properties dotted around the country, all with lovely walks on your doorstep.
7. For something a little different, join a small-group cultural tour with Martin Randall. Each tour is led by an expert in art, music or architecture. You could attend a classical music festival, visit some of England’s finest stately homes, or follow in the footsteps of Sir Winston Churchill.
8. i-escape has put together a great collection of boutique hotels in the UK from a groovy guesthouse in Brighton to a luxury spa hotel in the New Forest, and a boathouse for two in the Lake District. See the latest special offers.
9. If you love walking in the woods, rent a luxury lodge in Sherwood Forest with your own outdoor hot tub.
10. If you’re looking to celebrate a special occasion with friends and family, why not make like the cast of Downton Abbey and rent an historic house in England, Scotland or Wales. It’s a great option for birthdays or anniversaries.
12. Another superb place to stay in Shropshire is the Castle Hotel in the lovely market town of Bishops Castle. Think gastro food, 12 modern rooms and nearby hiking trails.
* Did you know you can save up to 40% on holiday prices? See all the latest deals.We publish new deals most weeks and you can get them delivered to your inbox by entering your email address below.
Last updated: 5 October 2020