Family holiday ideas
By William and Sally Gray, Editors of 101 Family Holidays
Looking for family holiday ideas? Here, we select the best holidays for your family in 2015. You’ll find dozens of summer holidays with kids on this page. All the holiday companies featured here are personally recommended by us.
UK family holidays
1. Take a cottage holiday in Devon and explore some of the UK’s most beautiful coastline.
2. Young kids will really enjoy these holidays on working farms. They can bottle-feed the lambs, collect the eggs and help milk the cows, and there’s a choice of locations in Devon, Cornwall, Dorset, Somerset and The Cotswolds. See the latest special offers.
3. The Isle of Wight is enjoying a revival, with parents taking their children to rediscover its simple retro charm and fabulous scenery. It remains one of the best value family holidays in the UK.
4. Rent a cottage in Cornwall and you can explore surf beaches, rock pools and family-friendly attractions, with a choice of stylish seafront apartments and fishermen’s cottages. There are some great special offers. If you don’t want to leave behind your pet, search for a dog-friendly cottage.
5. Children between 7 and 17 can head off to summer camp with Kingswood Camps which has locations in the UK and France and more than 80 activities including quad-biking, caving, kayaking, zipwiring and archery. There are dedicated camps for teenagers only.
6. The camping craze shows no sign of abating. If you have your own tent you can pitch up at one of 23 Haven Holiday parks around the UK coastline. Take a look at the facilities. If you want to try out this type of holiday, rent a caravan or African-style safari tent. Find more camping holiday ideas.
7. We’ve discovered some wonderful family-friendly hotels around the UK. We love Gwel an Mor in Cornwall which has its own wildlife centre and luxury wooden lodges. Also in Cornwall, the Sands Resort Hotel is perfect for kids of all ages (see their latest offers). If your kids enjoy activities and watersports, head for the Cotswold Water Park Four Pillars Hotel.
8. What child would not enjoy the Merton Hotel in Jersey? It’s among the UK’s most family-friendly hotels with a weather-proof Aquadome complete with swimming pools, slides and fountains, plus a large outdoor pool complex, a learn-to-surf Flowrider and child-friendly evening entertainment. Stay in a spacious family suite or serviced apartment.
9. If you want to go on holiday with friends, you could get together to rent a large property. You can find some superb large houses in the UK and abroad at The Big Domain. Some very grand houses in private grounds are very reasonable when you divide the cost between a few families.
10. Renting a boat or barge to explore some of the UK’s most beautiful rivers and canals is a fun family holiday and great value. Waterways Holidays provide full tuition so you don’t need any experience at the helm, and you can choose from 1,600 boats across the country.
11. If you’ve never tried a family holiday in the Lake District you’ll be knocked out by the region’s natural beauty. It’s ideal for children of all ages, whether you have teenagers keen to conquer peaks and explore slate mines, or toddlers who want to paddle in lakes and ride steam trains. Find self-catering accommodation at Sykes Cottages.
12. Sheepskin has some quirky family cottages, mostly in Wales and the Welsh borders. Our favourites include Lletty which is set in a forest clearing with views of the Black Mountains, and has a zip wire, trampoline and woodlands to explore.
13. Take the kids to London and stay in a serviced apartment. This works out cheaper than staying in most hotels – plus you have lots of space, freedom and home comforts.
Also, see our full guide to the best family holidays in England.
Best family beach holidays in Europe
1. Turkey is one of this year’s most popular family destinations, not least because it’s outside the Eurozone. In our view, the Aegean Coast ranks among the most beautiful in southern Europe. Stay in a luxury villa with private pool or a family-friendly hotel such as the Kalkan Regency or Bördübet.
2. Most people associate Spain with the Costas, but Northern Spain has beautiful unpsoilt beaches, rolling countryside, mountains and historic villages. You can fly there or take an overnight ferry, and stay in one of these self-catering cottages or traditional small hotels.
3. If you want a classy Mediterranean hotel that takes great care of children, we recommend the award-winning Borgo Egnazia Hotel Ville Golf Spa in Puglia, southern Italy.
4. For a cheap family holiday in Europe with sun, sea and lots of activities for kids, stay at a holiday parc in France. We recommend Siblu which has everything on site to entertain children of all ages and some great special offers. See more of our favourite family holidays in France.
5. We rate Corsica as one of the most beautiful islands in the Mediterranean, yet few Brits know it well. The beaches are superb, and ideal for young children. We’ve found a great selection of villas with pools on the west coast, St Florent in the North East and Porto Vecchio in the south. Check out the child discounts.
6. Sardinia is one of Europe’s great family holiday destinations. The island boasts some of the finest, unspoilt beaches in Europe, plus it has low-cost flights and some outstanding child-friendly hotels including Forte Village and Chia Laguna Resort.
7. On Portugal’s Western Algarve, the Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel is a gorgeous place to stay – stylish and family friendly – and it’s set in a national park. The beach is superb and there are lots of activities and clubs for children aged 6 months to 8 years.
8. Mark Warner operates Mediterranean beach clubs which work well for both very young children and active teens. There are kids clubs for ages 2 to 17 and free watersports. We like the Sea Garden Beach Resort in Turkey – one of the best all-inclusive family holidays in 2015. See the special offers.
9. The upmarket tour operator, Scott Dunn, has opened its own Explorers kids clubs at selected luxury hotels in Europe, including Pine Cliffs in the Algarve, Daios Cove in Crete and Almyra in Cyprus. Aimed at kids aged 4 months to 13 years, the clubs offer a packed programme of activities, adventures and sports.
10. Rent a family villa in Italy. Not just because Italians love children, and children love Italian food, but because it’s one of Europe’s most beautiful countries with a great choice of well-priced rental properties. Go for the rolling hills of Tuscany and Umbria, or the pretty beaches of Campania and Puglia in the south.
11. Croatia has one of Europe’s most beautiful coastlines where you can hop on local ferries to visit unspoilt islands. Completely Croatia has handpicked a selection of hotels, guesthouses, cruises and apartments – or you can take a cruise. See their latest offers.
12. For great value family holidays in France or Spain, rent a comfortable self-catering apartment in a car-free holiday village where you’ll find aqua parks and slides, golf courses, farms and tennis courts.
* See more ideas for toddler friendly holidays along with expert advice on travelling with children of this age.
Best family activity holidays
1. Iceland is arguably the world’s most exciting geography lesson. In winter you can view the Northern Lights while in summer you can swim in geothermal lagoons and join whale watching boat trips. Take an off-road trip in a 4WD Superjeep to discover bubbling mud pools and erupting geysers.
2. PGL is best known for its summer camps in England, Scotland and Wales for ages 7 to 17 (hence the nickname “Parents Get Lost”). But it also has a great-value range of activity holidays for all the family in the UK and France. You can stay in a hotel-style room or a chalet.
3. A walking holiday can be a great family bonding experience, particularly if you are strolling through lovely unspoilt countryside. We think the Austrian Tyrol is a perfect location with lush pastures and snow-capped Alpine peaks, well-marked paths (and friendly family-run hotels with swimming pools). There is a family option in the Swiss Alps too. Explore more family walking holidays.
4. Take the kids on a cruise on a traditional Turkish gulet to explore the beautiful coastline of Turkey, Greece or Italy. It’s both adventurous and lazy, and private guides will show you around local sites of interest, so there is culture thrown in too.
5. Give the kids something to look forward to when winter comes by booking a trip to visit the “real” Father Christmas with Santa’s Lapland. It’s not just for tiny tots – there are loads of outdoor activities like snowmobiling and reindeer sleigh rides to keep older children and teenagers happy, too.
6. You can introduce your children to skiing – and the beauty of the mountains in winter – from about the age of four. You’ll get a good deal if you choose the right resort, avoid the school holidays and find a special discount. For luxury family skiing in Europe we recommend San Cassiano in Italy.
7. Enjoy summer in the French Alps with Esprit Sun. There’s sunshine, fresh mountain air and activities including summer glacier skiing, mountain biking, white-water rafting and hiking. Esprit Sun offers free child care for children aged 3-10 and also has a lovely property in Lake Garda in Italy.
8. If your family enjoys cycle rides, how about taking an independent cycling holiday. Most popular destinations include Brittany, the Loire and the Catalan coast of Spain (with a few nights in Barcelona). Your luggage is transported for you, and there’s a comfortable family-friendly hotel at the end of each day.
9. Indonesia is one of the most exciting destinations for adventure and active family holidays. You could go sailing, fishing, kite surfing, water-skiing, snorkelling and scuba-diving. Check out this idea to Java and Bali which includes an elephant-back adventure, horse-riding, white-water rafting and a volcano trek.
10. Want something different? How about a family volunteering holiday where you combine activities and sunshine with useful work such as feeding and building shelters for animals before they are returned to the wild. Best family destinations include Costa Rica.
11. Explore Paris with young children on a choice of delightful private tours, including a private magic lesson, a chauffeur-driven Citroen 2CV, a visit to the Eiffel Tower and a lesson in making baguettes. Find out more from Family Twist.
12. If you have active teenagers, check out Powder Byrne’s new PB Sports Academies in Sardinia, Elba, Sintra and Crete – they feature luxury accommodation, great facilities and professional training in tennis, football, surfing, sailing, scuba diving, water skiing and wake boarding.
See our full recommendations of family activity holidays.
Best family villa holidays
3. Corfu is a very attractive island once you escape the package resorts. The prime area is the north-east coastline where CV Villas built its reputation with some wonderful houses with private pools, such as Villa Aktea which has breathtaking views, and even a separate swimming pool for toddlers.
5. Crete is one of the most interesting of the Greek islands with lots to do, charming villages and countryside and a long season. We love the Pendamodi villas – a small collection of detached houses with private pools. They are great value for families.
5. GIC The Villa Collection has more than 40 years experience arranging family holidays in the Greek Islands. It recommends Kefalonia where many of its properties are within walking distance of beach, shops and tavernas. There are direct flights from across the UK. See its latest special offers.
6. The tiny Greek island of Paxos, too small for an airport, is a lovely place to laze around your private pool and rent a boat to explore the coastline. It’s one of our favourite family summer holidays. Find more holiday ideas in Greece.
8. Florida also has some great homes with pools you can rent. Most of them are in and around Orlando, making an ideal base for visiting theme parks and discovering more of the Sunshine State. You can stay close to Walt Disney Resort or Universal Orlando or opt for the popular, good-value International Drive.
9. Further still … you could go as far as New Zealand where we recommend you embark on a two-week self-drive tour in either North Island or South Island (but not both – unless you have more time). To keep down costs you could opt for a motorhome holiday in New Zealand.
10. If you want to push the boat out, check out Scott Dunn‘s luxury staffed villas. The properties are gorgeous, plus you get the services of a chef, host and fully-qualified nanny.
11. Another upmarket option is this selection of luxury villas in the Algarve, all of which have private pools and some of which even have a private cinema or tennis court.
12. If you’re travelling in a big party and a villa might be too small, why not rent a chateau in France with Oliver’s Travels. It has some outstanding properties including Chateau de Tille in the Loire Valley, which sleeps 16 and has a swimming pool and tennis court.
Best family hotels in the Med
1. If your kids love water parks, book a stay at a First Choice SplashWorld hotel. There’s a choice of 24 locations, but all are all-inclusive and great value.
2. Lanzarote is a year-round destination just four hours flying time from the UK. For the ultimate family treat, check into the Princesa Yaiza Suite Hotel Resort. The children’s clubs offer everything from treasure hunts and five-a-side football to theatrical performances and mini discos. Another great luxury hotel in the Canaries is Abama Golf & Spa Resort in Tenerife.
3. It’s not easy to find a small, classy, family-friendly hotel on the Cote d’Azur, but the three-star Deluxe Hotel l’Arena midway between Cannes and St Tropez fits the bill perfectly. One child under 12 stays free when sharing a room with two adults.
4. On the Greek mainland, Sani Resort is one of Europe’s finest family resorts. It has three superb hotels stretched out along a protected beach, plus a charming harbour with shops and restaurants, lots of sports activities and open spaces where children can run around safely. Families particularly enjoy the Sani Beach Club.
5. Club Med is renowned for its all-inclusive holidays that appeal to children of all ages. More than 40 of its beach and ski resorts worldwide are specifically tailored for families. It offers excellent child care from 4 months and lots of activities. See the latest special offers.
6. The Algarve has a long season, making it a solid choice for Easter, May half term or October half term. You’ll find some great hotels here.
7. We love Daios Cove on the island of Crete. It’s a luxury contemporary-style resort in Crete where Scott Dunn has set up its own exclusive summer children’s club. Each family gets its own private pool, plus there are tennis courts, a fitness centre, spa and three restaurants, watersports and dive centre.
8. In Cyprus, the InterContinental Aphrodite Hills Resort has great facilities including a 18-hole championship golf course, tennis courts, an award-winning spa and two beach clubs. Its kids clubs cater to ages 6 months to 17 years.
9. The Westin Resort Costa Navarino on the Algarve has kids clubs for ages 4-12 and a creche for under-3s. It also boasts water slides, a bowling alley, adventure playground and pool tables. There are two golf courses, a racket ball centre, mountain biking and plenty of water sports from paddle boarding to scuba-diving.
Adventure holidays with kids
Check out our detailed and comprehensive guide to family adventure holidays for kids of all ages. Here is a selection of the best…
1. South Africa is one of the must-see destinations of 2015. It’s good value right now, and a 13-night self-drive holiday can take in Cape Town, the Garden Route, Grootbos Nature Reserve, and four nights at Amakhala Game Reserve for a “Big Five” game reserve. You can also enjoy a fabulous safari at a malaria-free game reserve such as Madikwe or Pilanesberg.
3. You can’t beat India for excitement, sensory overload and cultural shock – all things that make a family holiday unforgettable. It’s not just visiting the Taj Mahal and seeing tigers in the wild, but all the smaller differences that will amaze and delight your kids. Find out more.
4. Children love the USA, and there are some great family-friendly ways to see this amazing country. Enjoy the freedom of the open road by renting a motor home or booking a classic fly drive in California, Alaska, the South West or New York.
5. In Canada, you could see bears in Algonquin National Park and witness the power of Niagara Falls on a self-drive holiday in Ontario and Québec. Or take a self-drive adventure through the magnificent National Parks of Utah and Arizona and go white water rafting on the Colorado River, all with hotels, lodges and activities chosen with children in mind.
6. Asia is packed with eye-opening, exciting destinations for children. Try one of these family holidays in Vietnam, which include the ancient town of Hoi An, the villages of the Mekong Delta and a junk cruise in Halong Bay.
7. Play cowboys on a dude ranch in America where you can ride horses, visit a rodeo and try whitewater rafting, fishing, skeet shooting, line dancing, cattle driving and camping out in the wilderness. We recommend Echo Valley Ranch and Spa in British Colombia.
8. See all the best bits of Australia in a fortnight. Try this two-week winter sun holiday which is perfectly timed for the Christmas holidays. Northern Australia works well in our summer holidays.
9. Japan is a thrill a minute for kids of all ages, from the futuristic neon-lit cities crammed with technology to the mystical temples and ancient traditions of the countryside. Explore manga and anime, eat strange food from conveyor belts, ride on bullet trains and visit a Samurai castle. See a selection of family holidays in Japan.
10. The Family Adventure Company has a great selection of trip ideas for kids of all ages, from ages 2 right up to high-adrenalin trips for teenagers. Check out their educational tours and adventures for families on a budget.
11. If your kids love nature, there are few more exciting destinations than the Galapagos Islands. Follow in Darwin’s footsteps to enjoy close up encounters with seals, turtles, iguanas and giant tortoises. We took our twins there and it was one of the best holidays of our lives. We particularly recommend this Galapagos land-sea combo.
12. We also recommend Families Worldwide which has an inspiring collection of active family holidays, including a Rainforest & Volcanoes trip to Costa Rica. It offers both escorted small-group trips and tailor-made private tours all designed with kids in mind. Its most popular destinations include Egypt and Thailand. See its special offers.
13. If you want to visit Africa as a family, Tanzania is a great option. Take a safari and beach holiday with Exsus and you’ll get your fill of wildlife at the tented Selous Impala Camp before heading to the coast and relaxing at The Tides, a charming hotel with cottages on a pristine beach.
14. Zambia is a great safari destination for over-12s who can experience the thrill of walking safaris in South Luangwa National Park and white water rafting near Victoria Falls. Details from Abercrombie & Kent.
15. Even if your children are tiny, you can still take them away with Families Wordwide. Its group adventure trips start from just 2 years old in Morocco while 5-year-olds can explore Vesuvius and Pompeii.
16. Morocco also works really well for older kids. It’s only a short flight from the UK and great value. Kids aged 8 or more can combine a mule trek in the Atlas Mountains with a stay in Marrakech, while older children can try surfing in the Atlantic or a challenging mountain trek. See more family holidays in Morocco.
17. Powder Byrne has introduced an exciting 10-day trip to the Canadian Rockies that features a seaplane flight to Vancouver Island, a sleeper train to Jasper National Park, horse riding in Banff and a helicopter flight over the Columbian Icefield. Wow!
18. Powder Byrne also offers a collection of Air & Space family adventure holidays including this fabulous trip to Oman that includes desert safari camps, learning to drive a 4×4 in the desert, camel rides, wild swimming, snorkelling and stargazing at night by the campfire.
19. Egypt is packed with cultural treasures, amazing sights and child-friendly adventures. It may also be appearing on your children’s school curriculum. Check out these family tours in Egypt with On the Go Tours for ages 5 to 17, and their latest special offers.
20. South America is a fantastic destination with plenty of wildlife, beaches and natural wonders. For Brazil, Peru and Argentina, we recommend Dehouche, a British company based in Latin America.
21. Sri Lanka is a wonderful destination for families: full of excitement, friendly and good value. For inspiration, see this two-week tour which includes elephant riding, whale watching, mountain hikes, tea plantations, historic Galle and the beach resort of Bentota.
* See more family adventure holidays.
Long haul family beach holiday holidays
1. Antigua is a great island for families, with tot-friendly beaches and great all-inclusive hotels including the Verandah Resort & Spa, which is set in 30 acres of beaches and gardens and offers free watersports, children’s playgrounds and a great gym and spa for mum and dad.
2. The Maldives are not just for honeymooners. Kids are well catered for at One&Only Reethi Rah which has its own KidsOnly club.
3. The Caribbean has several great family hotels including Round Hill Hotel & Villas in Jamaica. Beaches Resorts are action-packed all-inclusives with endless things to do. On the Caribbean coast of Mexico, we recommend the wonderful Dreams Tulum and Dreams Riviera Resort & Spa.
4. Mauritius is a great beach destination with superb luxury hotels and no jet lag, which makes it ideal for young children. The Residence Mauritius has an amazing kids club and special offers including free children’s rooms and upgrades. For all-inclusive Mauritius, we recommend Beachcomber Hotels which have free kids clubs. Check out Le Victoria which has two-bedroom family apartments.
5. Oman is great for winter sun, with guaranteed warm temperatures and a touch of Arabian mystique. Check out the extraordinary Six Senses Zighy Bay where you can stay in a spacious villa with a private pool beside a superb beach ringed by mountains. Even the airport transfer is exciting – the last part of the journey is by speedboat.
Also see our money saving tips for family holidays.
This page last updated: 12 January 2015
Try our family holiday quiz
If you’re still not sure where to take the kids on holiday, why not try our family holiday quiz. Answer 10 fun questions like the one below and we’ll tell you what kind of travellers you are, and give you a list of personalised recommendations. Try the quiz now.